Redmond Rotary Rousers award scholarships to five Eastlake graduates
August 3, 2009 · 1:40 PM
As in many past school years, the Rotary Club of Redmond Rousers, recently awarded five scholarships to recent graduates from Eastlake High School.
The club’s President and Chair of the Students of the Month program, Paul Prochaska, presented $1,000 to each one of the five seniors selected from the group of 12 applicants.
For the 2008-2009 school year, the following students received their scholarships:
• Yuanshu (Alice) Tian, who has in the meantime been accepted to Western Washington University. Alice has been involved in Math Honor Society, National Honor Society, Junior Orthopedic Guild, Debate and Speech Team, and School Senate. She has also volunteered at Seattle Children’s Hospital, Ronald McDonald House, and Bellevue Arts Fair.
• Shireen (Zahra) Taheri, who has also been accepted to Western Washington University. At EHS, Shireen’s activities included Debate and Speech, International Club, Dance, and Acting. She has tutored after school in Math, and Science.
• Robert D. Bowman is planning to attend Bellevue Community College and specialize in sports management with a goal to be a sports scout or agent. For R.D., the activities outside of school have been limited to raising money and food donations for Food Life Line organization across Western Washington. Also, he and his mom provide help to other people by being care-givers.
• Tania del Socorro Vergara-Gomez is heading for Institute of Technology in Guadalajara, State of Jalisco, Mexico, to study bioengineering. At EHS, Tania participated in International Club, Cross Country Team, and was awarded Wolf of the Month in Mathematics. Outside of the school, Tania volunteered at her church and tutored in math, science, and Spanish.
• John Hitchcock has been accepted into Northeastern University in Boston, MA, with a goal of obtaining Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering and specialize in design of robots. Naturally, in EHS, John captained Robotics Team, and participated in Track, and Wolf Pack. Outside of the school, John helped to run Relay for Life program raising the most money west of the Mississippi outside of California.
For information about Rotary Club of Redmond Rousers, visit www.redmondrousers.com.