Redmond man charged for second-degree murder in Bellevue homicide

A Redmond man was charged with second-degree murder after prosecutors said he shot and killed a man, who was allegedly having an affair with his wife, at a downtown Bellevue apartment building the morning of Nov. 15.

The 43-year-old Redmond man, Sung Ho Kim, was booked into King County Jail Nov. 15 and his bail remains $2 million. His arraignment set for Dec. 1 at the King County Courthouse, according to the King County Prosecutor's Office.

At 10:07 a.m. Tuesday morning, Bellevue police responded to the Belle Arts apartment complex, located at 111 108th Ave. NE, where they found Jin Kim, who was pronounced dead at the scene from a single gunshot wound to the head. Jin Kim is not related to Sung Ho Kim.

Jin Kim, who works for Sung Ho Kim's wife, was shot after the Redmond suspect confronted him about having an alleged affair with his wife, according to King County Superior Court documents filed Friday. According to court documents, Sung Ho Kim's wife said her affair with Jin Kim was "emotional, not physical."

She told investigators that she and Jin Kim were at the Belle Arts unit, where she runs her business, when her husband came to the apartment to talk to them. Sung Ho Kim told Jin Kim that his wife was going to fire him, according to court documents. When Jin Kim argued back, the suspect pulled a hand gun from his pocket and shot Sung Ho Kim in the face and then threw the gun out the window.

Sung Ho Kim told police he was so upset with his wife's affair that he could not work at his job at Microsoft, so he came to the apartment to "talk" to his wife and Jin Kim, according to court documents. Sung Ho Kim told Jin Kim he wanted him out of his life and to leave his family alone, the court papers said.

The court papers went onto to say that Jin Kim began to argue and told Sung Ho Kim that he would leave his family alone for $500,000. That's when Sung Ho Kim became so angry, he pulled out the gun and shot and killed Jin Kim, according to court documents. Sung Ho Kim then threw the gun out the window and waited for police to arrive.

Sung Ho Kim told police he meant to scare Jin Kim and "didn't come to the apartments to kill anyone," the court documents said.

After Sung Ho Kim killed Jin Kim, the suspect said "My life is over, and I'll never see [my son] again," the wife told investigators.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates