Courtesy of the Redmond Police Department
Packages that are delivered and left unattended are easy targets for criminals. These thefts commonly occur during normal working hours, since many people are not at home. This is a crime that occurs in virtually every community in our country. To avoid becoming a victim of package theft, we recommend:
• If your employer will allow it, have packages delivered to your office.
• Request the shipper hold your package at their pick-up facility so you can pick up in person, at your convenience.
• See if there are other delivery options, depending on the vendor you are using. For example, Amazon purchases can be shipped to four different Amazon lockers in Redmond.
• If purchasing something from a large retailer, request that your package be delivered to a local branch of the store so you can pick it up in person at your convenience.
• Have packages delivered to a place where they can be received in person, such as the home of a trusted neighbor who is home during the day, or a retired relative.
• Request a specific delivery date and time from the shipper when you know you will be home.
• Provide delivery instructions to the shipper so packages can be left at a safe location at your home, one out of sight from the street.
• Sign up for delivery alerts (text messages or emails) from the shipper, then call a trusted neighbor to take your package inside for safekeeping.
• Request the shipper require a signature confirmation upon delivery; this will prevent your package from being left at an unattended home.
• As always, be on the lookout for unusual vehicles and unknown people on your street. Call 911 to report suspicious activity.