- About Us
AT A GLANCE: Redmond prep golf
REDMOND HIGH GIRLS
• Head Coach: Jake Crowley, fourth year
• Last year: 10-0 4A Kingco (13-0 overall); 2nd at districts; 4th at state
• 2010 turnout: 21 players
• Sr. Kelly Kennewick: Three-time state participant and Kingco medalist champion is a D-I or D-II college prospect.
• Jr. Keira O'Hearn: Mustangs' top finisher at state last year (7th) has the ability to go low at any time.
• Sr. Stephanie Schoeppel: Most improved player in the league capped last year's fine season with a top-20 finish at state.
• Srs. Carley Kalina, Makayla Walker: Pair of three-year varsity returners are great athletes with a good shot to make the state tournament in their final season.
• Fr. Casie Helgeson: Unlimited potential - coach thinks she will be one of the best players ever to play at Redmond High.
• Thursday, April 28, 3:30 p.m. at Newport (Newcastle Golf Course): The Knights will be hungry for revenge after losing this crucial match last season by one stroke to the Mustangs on their home course.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Mustangs have reeled off 78 consecutive wins in 4A Kingco golf matches, dating back to 2003.
“We have incredible depth with 11 kids who can shoot in the 40s at Bear Creek Country Club. We have a very athletic team who likes to compete and play in all weather - rain, snow, hail, wind and sun. We have a nice balance in all our classes." - Redmond coach Jake Crowley
• Head Coach: Doug Weaver, sixth year
• Last year: 8-0 Emerald City League; 1st in 1A Emerald City League, 13-0 overall
• 2010 turnout: 15 players
• Sr. Reid Fredrickson: Team co-captain shot 78-71 last year at state to place 10th at the state tournament.
• Soph. Danny Lee: State qualifier last year is always a threat to medal and will be a solid contributor.
• Sr. Sam Brown: Team's other returning upperclassman and co-captain looks to make state in his final prep golf season.
• Soph. David Anderson: Greatly improved player will continue to get better and hopefully peak in the postseason.
• Jrs. Noah Mayer, Christian Koczarski: Returning lettermen add depth to the Owls' roster
Tuesday, May 3, 3 p.m. vs. Bush (Jefferson Park Golf Course): Late-season matchup against an improved Bush team should be a solid test of golf for the Owls heading into the postseason.
DID YOU KNOW?
2009 graduate Alec Pakzad, who shot 71-71 to place 5th at the state tournament in his senior year at Overlake, is currently playing golf at Seattle University. His best performance in his freshman season was a 3-over-par, 17th-place finish at the Vikes Shootout at Cordova Bay Golf Club in Victoria, British Columbia.
“We're looking good. I think we will be the team to beat in the league and compete for the league championship. Reid Fredrickson and Daniel Lee are expected to be the leading scorers for our team with Anderson, Brown, Koczarski and Mayer also having a large impact with us.” - Overlake coach Doug Weaver
• Head Coach: Shawn Farmer, 6th year
• Last year: 5-4 Emerald City League
• 2010 turnout: 6 players
• Sr. Meggie Howell: Team co-captain and four-year Varsity player hopes to nail down her first state berth after a strong finish at Districts last year.
• Sr. Lindsey Allen: Team co-captain is very supportive and much improved over last season.
• Fr. Jenay Brown: Great athlete and soccer star for the Owls has amazing hand-eye coordination and a long drive.
• Fr. Nicki Buecker: Solid golf swing and clutch on the greens.
• Fr. Bijou Basu: Long off the tee, she will continue to develop throughout the season.
• Fr. Natalie McFall: Very athletic player, making huge improvements every week.
DID YOU KNOW?
Head coach Shawn Farmer was a standout player at Eastlake High School, and earned a golf scholarship to Eastern Washington University where she became the program's No. 1 player.
"The team is looking great so far, we're seeing improvements every week in our scoring. It's great to have two seniors on the team who are such great leaders and role models for our new players, they are helping lay the ground work for a lot of success in the years to come.” - Coach Farmer
BEAR CREEK BOYS
• Head Coach: Greg Cheever, third year
• Last year: 1st in 2B Emerald City League, 2nd in state
• 2010 turnout: 16
• Sr. Gannon McCahill: Team co-captain and one of three state returners for the Grizzlies (30th in 2009, 24th in 2010) looks to close his senior campaign with a bang.
• Sr. Will Stansell: Co-captain has a sweet swing and is very consistent. Shot very well at state last year, 75-71, to place 7th.
• Soph. Ricky Olson: Big-hitting kid made the cut at state last year, will lead the boys' program into the future.
• Sr. Jamie Clough: Star goalkeeper for the Grizzlies has strong natural golf ability. 25th at Districts last year, hopes to threaten for a state berth.
• Jr. Jake Imam: A gifted athlete, the 2009 1A/1B/2B state tennis singles champion is trying a new spring sport.
DID YOU KNOW?
Although only three girls tried out for the Grizzlies' golf team this year, he expects all three – Morgan Cadigan, Kiersten Sprick and Sarah Witt – to qualify for the state tournament this spring. Cadigan placed 12th at state last year.
"We expect the boys team to compete for the state title this year, with possibly six golfers making it to state." - Bear Creek coach Greg Cheever