AT A GLANCE: Overlake, Bear Creek golf
March 29, 2012 · 1:42 PM
OVERLAKE SCHOOL - GIRLS
• Head Coach: Shawn Farmer, 7th year
• Last year: 3-3 Emerald City League, 3rd place, 5-5 overall
• 2012 turnout: 4
• Soph. Bijou Basu: Much-improved player over her freshman year, looks to make her first state tournament after missing out by a few strokes.
• Soph. Nicki Buecker: Had a strong freshman year with some good rounds, hopes to continue improving and be a postseason threat.
• Soph. Natalie McFall: Currently nursing an elbow injury, will start back up next month.
• Fr. Cassie Moore: Extremely long hitter looks to develop over the course of the season and contribute some solid scores.
DID YOU KNOW?
Head coach Shawn Farmer was a standout player at Eastlake High School, and earned a golf scholarship to Eastern Washington, where she became the program’s No. 1 player.
“We’re definitely a young team this year, but are really excited to grow as a team and see how much we can improve.” - Coach Farmer
BEAR CREEK SCHOOL
• Head Coach: Greg Cheever, 4th year
• Last year: 1st in 2B Emerald City League, 2B state champions (boys)
• 2012 turnout: 12 boys, 7 girls
TOP RETURNERS - BOYS
• Sr. Jake Imam: Lone senior returner from 2B state championship team, a superior athlete that won the 2009 state tennis singles title.
• Jr. Ricky Olson: Long hitter that competes for medalist honors each match.
• Jr. Sam Stansell: Returns to golf after a one-year break with a strong desire to play well.
TOP RETURNERS - GIRLS
• Jr. Morgan Cadigan: Made state both years in the program with a high of sixth last year, hopes to better that this spring.
• Jr. Sarah Witt: Improved greatly to make a run at the district tournament last year, has a good chance to nail down a state berth.
• Jr. Kiersten Sprick: Making a return from a back injury, should improve over the course of the season and make a run at districts and state.
• Fr. Colin Diamond: Smooth swing and golfing maturity. Should be consistently in the 40s and chasing medalist honors.
• Jr. Alex Davisson: Great work ethic, looks to break into the top six in scoring and be a contributor.
• Frs. Gracie Matthews, Wendy Hsia, Alana Fiske: Trio of freshman all possess athletic swings and will be contributors this year and in the program’s future.
DID YOU KNOW?
This season marks the first time that the girls’ team has a full roster, meaning they will be eligible to compete for the 2B state title as a team if they qualify. Last year, only three 2B schools in the entire state – St. John-Endicott, Warden, and Rainier Christian had eligible teams.
“The boys’ team looks to compete for the district championship then compete for the state championship again. The girls’ team now has seven golfers that will push each other to improve each day. They are looking to place as many as possible at districts then place as many as possible at state.” - Bear Creek coach Greg Cheever