Most people understand that it’s essential to have adequate protein in their diets, so as to enhance muscle growth and strength, contribute to fat loss, and to contribute to overall health. Luckily, protein is easily obtainable through a number of healthy foods, and also through some convenient protein powder supplements. According to some prominent nutritionists, anyone who engages in at least 150 minutes of exercise a week will need between 1.2 grams and 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight every day.
Athletes and very active individuals will require even more protein, and if you can’t get all that protein through the foods you eat, supplements are a good way to take in the rest. Protein powders can provide a huge amount of amino acids to muscles, and those amino acids serve as the building blocks of protein.
Given that so many women are extremely busy in their daily routines, protein powders provide a great service in helping you to hit your protein goals without having to stuff extra protein in your foods. Here are some of the best protein powders on the market, and by using any one of these, you should be able to get all the protein you need to maintain a healthy diet and stay on top of your game.
|Best Protein Overall||XWERKS Grow|
|Best Plant Based Protein||BiOptimizers Protein Breakthrough|
|Best Value||IdealFit’s IdealLean|
|Best Keto Protein||BioTrust Low Carb|
|Best Whey Protein||XWERKS Grow|
This product is made from protein isolate obtained from grass fed New Zealand cows, and it’s the most pure form of protein after having gone through a stringent filtration process. This process removes all the carbohydrates, lactose, and fats, which leaves virtually nothing but pure protein. This is a very high-quality product which is gluten-free and soy-free, and is very easy to digest, which means you won’t experience any bloating or gas side effects. Each serving of this protein powder delivers 25 grams of protein, 6 grams of BCAAs, and virtually no fat or carbohydrates. You can choose from chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, and strawberry flavors.
BioTrust Low Carb
This protein powder is a good choice for someone trying to lose weight or build muscle mass, and it’s great for all kinds of diets including the ketogenic diet. The formula has been specifically developed to minimize any cravings for unhealthy foods, so it will be easier to stick to your diet and feel satisfied at the same time. Each serving provides a full 24 grams of high-quality protein, along with 11 grams of essential amino acids, 4 grams of carbohydrates, 5 grams of BCAAs, and a proprietary blend of digestive enzymes.
CrazyBulk 100% Tri-Protein
Another protein powder that is of extremely high quality, this is an excellent powder for recovery after a stiff workout, as well as for muscle enhancement. Each serving of this powder provides a good portion of milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, whey protein hydrolysate, and calcium caseinate. There are actually six different kinds of proteins included in this formula, all of which are released in different stages. Since protein absorption is spread out over a period of time, they’re each much easier to digest and very enjoyable to have in your diet.
biOptimizers Protein Breakthrough
The protein blend which was developed for this formula took 17 years of research, which means you can count on it being a top-quality formula, as well as having a smooth texture and an enjoyable flavor. Some of the all-natural ingredients used in this formula include hemp, peas, and pumpkin seeds, which are intended to reduce cravings as well as that hungry feeling. The formula also has a low carbohydrate level with a high level of essential amino acids, providing you with faster recovery from intense workouts. It’s a bit more expensive than most other products on this list, but the benefits it provides makes it worth it.
Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
Regarded as one of the highest quality protein powders on the market, this protein powder is 100% pure protein obtained from grass-fed American cattle. Every scoop of this formula provides a whopping 28 grams of protein, along with 1 gram of carbohydrates, less than 1 gram of sugars, and a mere 120 calories. There are no sweeteners or flavors added to this formula, and that makes it one of the healthiest natural products you might ingest. It also happens to be one of the lowest-priced powders on this list, making it one of the very best values available.
Live Conscious Organic Protein
Health-conscious people really love this protein powder, partly because it’s USDA-organic certified, and partly because there are only 80 calories in each serving. In addition to that, it has a wonderfully pleasing flavor, and it’s vegan in nature, since it is largely comprised of rice protein, pea protein, sacha inchi, and pumpkinseed protein. When these ingredients are mixed together, a strong array of health benefits are provided, including quicker weight loss, faster muscle gain, and increased metabolism. You will receive 15 grams of high-quality protein in every serving of this product.
People who are trying to lose weight turn to this protein powder quite frequently, since it has the ability to blow away fat cells while also minimizing food cravings. This supplement has been formulated especially to work with the reward centers of the brain, providing a rich and creamy chocolate taste. Even though it’s a top-quality protein powder, the consumer will only notice that it has a delightful chocolate taste. Every serving of this product delivers 15 grams of protein, 6 grams of sugar, 7 grams of fiber, and a total of 150 cal. This is a somewhat unique product on the list because of the way it can be used. Once the protein powder has been mixed, it can be placed in the freezer and then munched on as a tasty frozen snack.
Amy Myers MD Paleo Protein
One of the most revered names in the supplement industry, Amy Meyers is a licensed medical doctor, so you can have confidence that you’re getting a top-quality product with this protein powder. It’s also extremely tasty and is sourced from grass-fed cows, and can deliver a huge amount of amino acids in addition to 21 grams of protein in every serving. Fans of this protein powder also love the fact that it comes in a number of delicious flavors including cookies and cream, double chocolate, salted caramel, vanilla bean, cinnamon roll, and strawberries and cream.
Vital Proteins Collagen Whey Protein Pro Series
This is another name which has a very good reputation in the industry, and this product particularly is an excellent example of why the reputation is so solid. There is an impressive 25 grams of protein in every serving of this product as well as 10 grams of collagen. It’s also rich in vitamins and collagen peptides, as well as providing a significant amount of amino acids. It also has hyaluronic acid which can boost athletic performance, support joint health, increase recovery from workouts, and contribute toward the development of a lean, slim figure. There are probiotics included in the formula to help with digestion, and there are two primary flavors the product comes in, those being coconut water and vanilla.
Onnit Whey Isolate Protein Grass-Fed
If you’re looking for a highly rated, grass-fed supplement, this protein powder is definitely one you should consider. Every serving of this supplement provides 20 grams of protein with no added sugars, so you can be sure that you are providing the best quality nourishment to your body. It’s available in two flavors, vanilla and Mexican chocolate, and it’s formulated from the purest form of whey available, with all fat filtered out, and all carbohydrates excluded for the purest and most effective formula. There are only 100 calories per serving with this formula, and it has a reputation of being one of the best protein powder supplements on the market.
Elite Protein Green Regimen Plant Based Formula
This is a plant-based protein powder which is entirely organic, and it can actually serve as a complete meal replacement if you choose to use it that way. There are 25 grams of high-quality protein in every serving, which makes it one of the most potent choices on our list. There are also 4 grams of organic fiber, with a number of digestive enzymes included in the formula, which also excludes all sugars and artificial flavors. The protein from this formula comes from organic hemp and peas, which delivers a very powerful protein blend that aids in digestion, supports muscle growth, and also contributes to weight loss. This is a vegan protein supplement which can be used by all those who are following vegan or vegetarian lifestyles.
Cellucor COR-Performance Whey
There are about 70 servings in each container of this protein powder supplement, and that makes it one of the best values of all those described on this list. It’s also extremely helpful, given that every serving contains 24 grams of protein, 25 grams of natural BCAAs, and just 120 calories. It has been specially formulated to be sure that it mixes very smoothly and is just as easy on the digestive tract once it’s been ingested. There are some artificial flavors added to the formula as well as a couple sweeteners to enhance the taste, so it’s not exactly pure, but it is one of the more appealing flavors on our list.
Ladder Whey Protein Powder
This is a product which was jointly developed by Lebron James and Arnold Schwarzenegger, both of whom are elite athletes who understand how muscle mass can be developed, while also boosting endurance and recovering faster from strenuous workouts. Included in each serving of this protein powder, you’ll get 14 grams of amino acids, 7 grams of BCAAs, 2 billion CFUs of probiotics, and 26 grams of protein. That’s a pretty impressive ingredient list, but it’s also available in two terrific flavors, vanilla and chocolate. It also carries an NSF certification with it, so you can be sure that it has passed some pretty rigorous testing, and is completely free of any banned substances. It also offers a 30-day money back guarantee to purchasers, so if for any reason you are unhappy with the product, you won’t have lost any of your investment.
Ladder Plant Protein
This is the plant-based version of the Ladder Whey Protein product, and it carries virtually the same tremendous health benefits. The difference is that all the proteins used in the formulation of this product are derived from plants, and have been combined so as to deliver the maximum benefit. In each serving, you’ll get 5 grams of BCAAs, 2 billion CFUs of probiotics, 9 grams of essential amino acids, and 21 grams of protein. Much like the original Ladder Whey Protein formula, this plant-based version helps with the repair of damaged muscles, it can boost stamina and endurance, and helps significantly to shorten recovery time after a strenuous workout or an injury. Like the original, it’s also available in tasty vanilla and chocolate flavors.
NSP Nutrition Muscle Fuel
This is a top-quality whey isolate protein powder which has been specially formulated to support health and well-being by delivering a number of essential amino acids. The main ingredients used in this isolate are ultra-filtered, so they are extremely good at delivering high-quality protein which is low in fats and carbohydrates. This type of protein is also extremely easy to absorb by the body, so you’ll probably never experience any kind of digestive difficulties. With a full 25 grams of protein in every serving, your body will be nourished by a formula with a very clean profile of macronutrients. Even with all these benefits included, it’s still priced very affordably, and that has contributed a great deal toward its continuing popularity among women who use protein powder supplements.
NSP Nutrition Milk and Egg Protein
This product has a unique formula, since it’s the only supplement on this list which is derived from eggs and milk so as to increase the protein profile of the product. Almost 92% of the total protein delivered by this product is sourced from milk and eggs, and that helps your body build muscle mass without adding weight at the same time. The product has also been specially formulated to maintain energy levels, prevent the breakdown of protein in the muscles, stabilize blood sugar levels, and contribute to providing a younger look and better feel for a consumer. It’s also one of the more affordably priced products on our list, and still provides a high quality protein product.
Battle Ready Fuel Whey Protein
This is another product which has an extremely good reputation in the protein powder supplement industry, and this particular product is one of the most trusted. This has a very clean and pure formula derived from 90% isolate, which nourishes the body with a number of amino acids, while also being extremely easy on the digestive tract. It is totally free of sweeteners, artificial flavors, and fillers, and is one of the least expensive options you can choose from. The manufacturer is relatively new in the industry, but shortly after its introduction, it garnered all kinds of attention and popularity, and quickly came to become a dominant factor in the United Kingdom market. Most users are extremely impressed by the micronutrient and macronutrient profiles, as well as the very tasty flavor. For those individuals looking for a high-quality supplement which can also be a meal replacement, this is an excellent choice. It also has the terrific quality of increasing stamina and reducing your post-workout recovery time.
Organic Protein by Orgain
This manufacturer offers a number of protein powders, some of which are whey-based and some of which are plant-based, but both contain a number of superfoods which allow the supplement to serve a role as a meal replacement. The plant-based protein powder is the company’s most popular, delivering 21 grams of plant-based proteins each serving, along with 6 grams of fiber and prebiotics, with no sugars whatsoever. It’s also a product which is USDA organic-certified, and made from ingredients which are completely pure and clean. It comes in a variety of flavors, so you can mix up your routine and still stay with this particular product. The protein powder itself comes from grass-fed sources, and you can purchase this product in either sweetened form or with the unsweetened formula. You’ll be able to change up between peanut butter, creamy chocolate fudge, iced coffee, and chocolate coconut flavors, so as to introduce some variety to your routine.
IdealLean Protein for Women by IdealFit
This is one of the products on our list which is specially formulated for women, and is intended to facilitate weight loss and support the development of more muscle, while also minimizing cravings. Every serving of this protein powder delivers 20 grams of protein, 0 grams of fat, 2 grams of sugar, and just 100 calories. This formula is different from most other protein powder formulas in that it provides high doses of premium quality whey protein isolate, which include only minute amounts of additional ingredients and fillers. This allows you to be confident about nourishing your body with all good ingredients, and boosting your energy level, while also losing weight.
Legion Whey+ Isolate Protein
This is one of the most popular protein powder supplements on our list, and it comes from all-natural grass-fed sources. The whey used in this formula comes directly from family-owned and operated Irish dairy farms, so you can be confident that you’re getting only the most natural ingredients in this product. Each serving of the product delivers 5 grams of fat, 6 grams of BCAAs, 2 grams of carbohydrates, 22 grams of protein, and just 120 calories. Of special note, there are no sugars whatsoever included in the formula for this product, but what really sets it apart from other products is the fact that it’s derived from the cleanest and healthiest milk available on the market. The manufacturer of this protein powder supplement only works with farms that have been certified by Ireland’s Sustainable Dairy Assurance Scheme. This organization applies the most stringent regulations and standards on Irish dairy farmers, so you can be sure that the products used in the formulation of this protein powder are the purest and cleanest. If you’re looking for a high-quality, all-natural protein powder which delivers tremendous health benefits, this should be something you consider strongly.
Beast Sports Beast Protein
A protein powder supplement that always lasts a long time, this is a formula you should consider if you don’t want to make frequent purchases, but still get a formula which packs a tremendous health punch. Every 4-pound tub of this protein powder delivers 52 servings of powder, and can be purchased in either vanilla or chocolate flavor. Either one will deliver 25 grams of protein, and that’s how it obtained its name as a beast among similar products. It also includes a number of amino acids and protein blends which are designed to be absorbed both slowly and quickly, so that you have a spaced-out process of protein absorption. This helps to minimize cravings while also speeding up muscle growth. One of the best options for your budget on our list, the product also is known to strengthen bones, boost strength, reduce blood-pressure levels, minimize hunger, and increase metabolism so as to promote weight loss.
Huge Whey by Huge Supplements
With 23 grams of protein in every serving and just 120 calories, this high-quality protein powder supplement also delivers 5 grams of BCAAs, and these can increase the effectiveness of the protein it delivers. If you’re looking for some special flavors, this is a product you might want to consider, since it comes in cookies and cream and chocolate peanut butter. The formula is comprised of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate, so as to deliver a well-balanced and impressive blend of proteins. The formula also includes cocoa powder and several natural flavorings in each scoop. It’s also one of the leanest formulas on the market, which includes 2 grams of fat in each serving. The manufacturer is relatively new on the protein supplement scene, being launched in 2019. However, it has quickly become one of the most popular formulas in the industry, because it has undergone some major research and rigorous testing before being marketed.
ProMix Professional Nutrition Irish Whey Isolate Protein Powder
One of the hallmarks of this protein powder supplement is its simplicity, being derived from whey isolate sourced from grass-fed Irish cows. Each serving delivers an impressive 30 grams of high-quality protein, in addition to 6.6 grams of BCAAs, and that alone makes it one of the most powerful formulas on this listing. There are also 14.2 grams of essential amino acids included in every serving, so you can be sure that your body receives all kinds of nourishment from macronutrients. For those of you who like a little flavor with their protein powder, you can purchase the chocolate-flavored version, while those who eschew flavors can purchase the unflavored version. There are also two sizes to choose from, those being the 2-pound tub and the 5-pound tub, so if you like, you can go quite a while without purchasing another container. Regardless of which way you decide to go, you can be sure that you’re getting a high-quality pure protein supplement.
MTN Ops Magnum
This is a top-quality protein powder supplement which is completely sourced from whey, and formulated so as to facilitate muscle growth, improve recovery time, enhance stamina, increase energy levels, and contribute to weight loss. All this makes it ideal for weightlifters, professional athletes, bodybuilders, and any other individuals who are looking to improve overall health and build muscle. Each serving of the product delivers a full 23 grams of protein and 1.5 grams of glutamine, which provides nourishment to muscles which need to recover after difficult workouts. There are quite a few tasty flavors it comes in, including berries and cream, mountain mocha, and vanilla milkshake. Manufacturers of the product also offer a 30-day money back guarantee, which gives you the option of returning the product if you are unhappy for any reason whatsoever, and no questions will be asked.
Pros and cons of using protein powder
Probably the single most advantageous reason for using protein powder is that it provides a very convenient way for you to significantly increase your protein intake. If there were no supplements like this, you might have a difficult time ingesting all the protein you need simply through the foods you eat, and if you’re not hungry to begin with, it might actually be something of a chore to ingest all that protein.
That makes protein powder a very viable and appealing alternative, especially if you want to avoid excessive meal preparation to deliver needed protein. In fact, that’s another advantage of using protein powder, because it requires no actual planning or preparation, it can just be whipped up into a milkshake for people who are on the go, and it will always be cheaper than preparing a full-blown dinner entrée which includes a dose of protein.
If there’s a downside to using protein powders, it’s that most formulas don’t include the micronutrients you need, and which would be delivered from a source like steak or fish. This isn’t usually a problem if you get all those micronutrients from other food sources, and your protein powder is just boosting the protein intake. However, if you come to rely too much on the protein powder supplements and milkshakes, it simply won’t deliver all the micronutrients your body needs, and you could end up being shortchanged.
Picking the best protein powder
The best protein powders for women will be tailored, and enhanced with mineral blends and vitamins to deliver what women need most in the way of supplements. There is, of course, a protein powder supplement for absolutely everyone, whether you are someone who has a dairy-free diet, a vegan diet, or if you are just a monster in the gym. The most popular types of protein powder supplements are described below, and you can figure out which of them delivers the kinds of qualities and characteristics that you are looking for in your daily routine. Here are the six:
- Whey – Whey-based protein powders are embraced by women who are also weightlifters, and it consists of the liquid which gets scraped off cheese. While that may not sound all that appealing, it’s actually the most effective type of protein which the body can make use of. Whey concentrate is approximately 70% protein, which is notably higher than any plant-based options available. One of the Goldstar nutrients in this category is leucine, which is an amino acid that is responsible for muscle growth and muscle repair. About 13% of the protein included in Whey is leucine, as compared with the amount coming from hemp, which is only around 7%. For individuals who train regularly at a high intensity, it’s a good idea to have 15 grams of Whey protein supplement before your workout and another 15 grams afterward, to make sure it kicks in and works faster.
- Pea – Pea protein powder is ideal for women who tend to suffer from bloating, or for those who are on a vegan diet. It is made by extracting soluble protein from yellow split peas that are rich in fiber. It provides a very powerful protein punch for vegans, without all the gassy side effects. Pea protein contains a significant amount of amino acid leucine, and it outranks most other plant-based proteins in that category. Some studies have found it to be almost as effective as Whey protein at increasing muscle mass during training programs. It’s a very popular choice for post-workouts, because it contains zero fiber, which is much easier on the digestive tract. It can be a little light on the ingredient count of crucial amino acids, so it’s a good idea to pair up with another plant protein such as oat bran. You can add a 30 gram scoop to a smoothie, or prepare a protein porridge including oats.
- Casein – This type of protein powder is ideal for women who are seeking to lose weight, and since it has a reputation of being a fat blaster, it has also become very popular with bodybuilders. It is a dairy byproduct which would generally deliver 26 grams of protein and .5 grams of fat in a 30 gram serving of protein powder. Anyone who has a goal of becoming leaner and meaner, will probably gravitate toward using this kind of protein powder. It gets digested more slowly than whey-based protein, and it actually forms into a kind of jelly in your stomach, which keeps you feeling full for a longer period of time. It will also prevent muscle from breaking down, which means you’ll be able to lose weight without losing muscle. This kind of protein powder is best taken in the evening, and results published in the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise showed that 40 grams of casein taken before bedtime increases the rate of body repairs by 22%. This actually speeds up the recovery process by about 20%, which is quite an impressive capability.
- Brown rice – People who prefer brown rice as their source for a protein supplement are generally those who appreciate smart snacks and high-protein snacks. A 30 gram serving will provide 23 grams protein, .6 grams of fat, and only about 127 calories. In order to formulate brown rice protein, it’s necessary to treat the rice grains with enzymes, so that the protein gets separated. You’d actually have to eat 500 grams of natural rice in order to get the same amount of protein which can be delivered in a 30 gram scoop, so it’s very convenient to just get all that with a single serving instead. This kind of protein powder is very easy on the digestive tract, but it does come up a little short in terms of the amino acids that it’s able to deliver. That means if you really want to go the brown rice route, you should plan on getting your amino acids from some other source to make sure that your body is getting all the nutrition it needs. One possible source would be to load up on quinoa at mealtimes and whenever possible, taken some extra peanut butter, either as a topping or out of the jar.
- Hemp – Hemp protein has become very popular with vegetarians and vegans, and those who follow similar lifestyles. Hemp protein is derived from ground-up hemp seeds which have been pressed. This is a known vegan superfood which is a mainstay in the routine of a great many people who are either vegan or are following a strict diet. Every 30 gram serving will provide 16 grams of protein, 3.6 grams of fat, and 124 calories. One of the good things about hemp-based protein is that it’s loaded with anti-inflammatory omega-six fatty acids as well as omega-3 fatty acids, and these are rarely included in any other plant-based diet. That makes this one of the few ways that vegans can acquire these essential fatty acids and still be true to their diet. However, despite the fact that hemp protein contains all 21 amino acids, it doesn’t have them in amounts comparable to casein or whey, and it’s also quite low in leucine, so you may need to combine 15 grams of hemp with another 15 grams of Pea protein, which is rich in leucine. This should boost your amino acid profile and provide your body with the kind of rapid repair mechanism that it needs. One other drawback to hemp-based protein powder is that it tends to cause bloating, most likely due to the high fiber content. If you don’t mind being a little gassy at times, this can be a formula that works really well for you.
- Soy – Women who have a very hectic life and who have a very busy calendar find soy-based protein powder much to their liking. In a 30 gram serving, you can expect to get around 11.2 grams of protein, with 2.6 grams of fat and approximately 111 calories. There is considerable controversy surrounding the actual health benefits of soy protein, but there is at least one product on the market which has gone out of its way to demonstrate that its own health benefits are real and demonstrable. Norvia Active Performance blend is a soy protein powder which has been specially formulated for extremely active people, and it consists of soy protein, soy fiber, and soy lipids which all help prepare your body’s muscles for strenuous workouts, while also maintaining superior energy levels during times of stress. You can also count on recovering from your strenuous workouts much faster, and maintaining an excellent level of general health. The company provides portioned packets for usage, so even if you’re on the go, you can slip one in your gym bag and quickly whip up a post workout shake when you’re a little short of time. In addition to providing a good dosage of healthy protein, each shake that you ingest delivers a solid dose of vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, both of which are extremely useful for shaking off the effects of fatigue and post-workout doldrums.
Many protein powder supplements on the market today actually consist of one or more of these types of protein blended together. For the most part, you’ll find that whey-based protein powders and casein-based protein powders are standalone products which don’t get combined with any others. However, several of the vegan protein powders do mix soy, pea, brown rice, and hemp, so as to deliver a profile which is more nutritionally complete.
It’s certainly true that some proteins are much better at promoting muscle recovery, while others are more adept at boosting muscle mass. When you combine two or more of these protein powder types, it can help you to accomplish several goals at the same time, and it can get you where you’re going much faster.
The links contained in this product review may result in a small commission if you opt to purchase the product recommended at no additional cost to you. This goes towards supporting our research and editorial team and please know we only recommend high quality products.
Please understand that any advice or guidelines revealed here are not even remotely a substitute for sound medical advice from a licensed healthcare provider. Make sure to consult with a professional physician before making any purchasing decision if you use medications or have concerns following the review details shared above. Individual results may vary as the statements made regarding these products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.