Englund concedes 45th Legislative District race

  • Friday, November 10, 2017 3:20pm
  • News
Jinyoung Lee Englund

Jinyoung Lee Englund

Republican candidate Jinyoung Lee Englund, who was running against Democrat Manka Dhingra, has conceded in the race for the 45th state Legislative district Senate seat.

In a press release sent out today, Englund said she had called Dhingra to congratulate her on her electoral victory.

Current ballot counts place Dhingra with 55 percent of the votes, and Englund with the remaining 45 percent.

“From the beginning, we knew we were the underdogs,” Englund said in the release. “And yet, you all still said YES to the call to serve a purpose higher than self. That purpose was a balance of power in our state and honoring the legacy of the late Senator Andy Hill.”

Englund thanked her supporters for helping her run her campaign, and urged Dhingra to “be a voice that represents all of us in the 45th Legislative District.”

The race for the 45th district Senate seat was the most expensive in Washington state history, with figures pegging the total spent at around $9 million by the candidates and outside groups.

This was because the winner would decide the balance of power in the state Senate.

With Dhingra’s victory, Democrats have a one-vote majority in the Senate, as well as control of the House and Governor’s office.

With the results of the election, Washington joins Oregon and California as part of what is being described as a “Blue Wall,” where Democrats control the state government all down the West Coast.

The seat will be up for election again in 2018 as Tuesday’s vote was part of a special election.

Hill, who Englund referenced in her concession, was voted in again in the previous election. He died in office last year after a battle with cancer. Hill was a Republican, and Dino Rossi was selected to replace him, but chose not to run.

Rossi has announced his intention to run for Congress in the 8th district.


In consideration of how we voice our opinions in the modern world, we’ve closed comments on our websites. We value the opinions of our readers and we encourage you to keep the conversation going.

Please feel free to share your story tips by emailing editor@redmond-reporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.redmond-reporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) We reserve the right to edit letters, but if you keep yours to 300 words or less, we won’t ask you to shorten it.

More in News

Investigators release update on Redmond officer shooting

More details of the shooting involving multiple officers and a 39-year-old woman has not yet been released

Washington State Capitol Building in Olympia. File photo
Surge in consumer spending eases state budget challenges

A jump in tax collections cuts a projected $9 billion shortfall in half, acccording to new forecast.

High speed rail and hub cities explored in Cascadia Corridor study

A new paper outlines a potential plan for the region.

Woman shot, killed by officers in Redmond

The woman had called 911 and reported that someone was trying to kill her. Police state she confronted officers with a handgun.

Should state cover school bus costs if there are no riders?

With funding tied to getting students to school, districts are uncertain how much money they’ll receive.

A plane drops fire retardant on the Palmer Mountain Fire last week. The fire is listed as 84 percent contained, and fully lined. Laura Knowlton/Sound Publishing staff photo
Threat multiplier: How climate change, coronavirus and weather are scorching WA

Dry summer conspired with the pandemic and a wind storm.

Screenshot from the state Employment Security Department’s website at esd.wa.gov.
Workers may qualify for an extra $1,500 in unemployment back pay

A federal program will give some of the state’s unemployed a $300 weekly bump for the past five weeks.

King County moves to Stage 2 burn ban

Outdoor fires, even barbecues or in fire pits, are now prohibited.

Image courtesy of the Washington Department of Natural Resources.
Massive wildfires incinerate WA

All state Department of Natural Resources lands were closed to recreational activities on Sept. 8.

Screenshot of the air quality monitor at 11 a.m., Tuesday, Sept. 8. Courtesy Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.
King County faces unhealthy air quality due to wildfire smoke

Weather monitors recommend people limit time outdoors, especially children, seniors and those with heart or lung disease.

Amazon adds more office space to Bellevue, now as many new jobs as HQ2

The office space for an additional 10,000 jobs, making it 25,000 coming to downtown, is expected to complete in 2023.