Hopelink’s Eastside Literacy and other programs are constantly looking for volunteers comfortable communicating in English to give hope to people in need in Redmond.
Eastside Literacy needs volunteers to:
• Help adults learn to read or earn a General Education Development (GED) diploma.
• Assist non-native English speakers to improve their English skills.
• Teach healthy living on a budget, money management and computer skills, including job searching online and resume writing.
• Oversee the children of parents who are enrolled in various Hopelink classes.
• Teach computer skills to children and their parents..
Hopelink’s Redmond Center at 16225 NE 87th St. needs volunteers to:
• Pick up donated groceries from area grocery stores and deliver it to the center on a weekday morning before 10 a.m. (this is a critical need).
• Assist at the food bank on the first and third Wednesdays of the month from 5:15-7:15 p.m.
• Help stuff envelopes for bulk mailings (on an as-needed basis).
• Answer the phone and greet walk-in clients at the reception desk.
• Enter basic information into a database.
Additionally, Hopelink’s transitional housing complex in Redmond is looking for volunteers to play with the children for two hours on a Thursday evening once a month, during the parents’ meetings and classes. Activities and snacks will be provided.
Training for all volunteer positions is provided. Bi-lingual volunteers (English/Spanish, English/Russian, English/Mandarin, English/Arabic) are particularly helpful.
Learn more about volunteering at one of two Hopelink volunteer orientation meetings on Wednesday, May 7. Orientations are presented in English. They will be held at Hopelink’s Adult Education Department office, 15015 Main St., Suite 206 in Kelsey Creek Plaza (across from the main Hopelink center), in Bellevue, starting promptly at 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and again, starting promptly at 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Eastside Literacy, a program of Hopelink, offers free literacy instruction to adults throughout north and east King County. For more information or directions, call the Adult Education Department at (425) 643-1912 or toll-free at 1-800-870-1912.