Many people previously stymied by language difficulties are now able to get help for their families, thanks to the full launch of the Eastside Cultural Navigator Program.
The Eastside Cultural Navigator Program is designed for immigrants and refugees who may have difficulty accessing health or human services or who need assistance in learning the norms of everyday life.
The program works to ensure needs are met with available resources and also works to limit the problems that can arise through isolation and lack of information.
“We’ve struggled for many years with the difficulties of ensuring that all are able to tap the services on our campus,” said Pam Mauk, executive director of Family Resource Center in Redmond. “The great increase in immigrants and refugees on the Eastside corresponds with tremendous funding pressures for human service agencies.”
The program has been experimenting with its model for the last year but has now launched with a full contingent of “navigators” at the Bellevue Mini City Hall in the Crossroads Shopping Center and at Family Resource Center.
Free, confidential services for those with limited English language skills are available as follows:
At Bellevue Mini City Hall, Crossroads Shopping Center, 15600 NE 8th St., Bellevue; (425) 452-2800.
• Spanish: Mondays 4-6 p.m., Wednesdays 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; additional hours by appointment.
• Russian: Thursdays 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Fridays noon-2:30 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; other days by appointment. email@example.com
• Chinese: Fridays 2:30-6 p.m. (every other Friday; please call to confirm days).
• Korean: Fridays 10 a.m.-noon.
• Hindi, Bengali, Urdu: Mondays 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Tuesdays 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Tagalog: Saturdays noon- 1 p.m.
Mini City Hall staff have access to an interpreter on a dual receiver phone in more than 100 languages with Language Line services Monday-Saturday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
At Family Resource Center, 16225 NE 87th St, Suite A5, Redmond.
• Spanish: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; (425) 289-8608; firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chinese: Wednesdays 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; (425) 647-0913; email@example.com.
• Languages of India: Mondays 2-4 p.m., Tuesdays 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; (206) 838-8157; firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program is coordinated by Chinese Information and Service Center. Program coordinator is Chor Phen Ng, (425) 289-8607 or email@example.com.