The Overlake School Owls
• Head coach: Luke Trier, 1st year
• Last season: 2-9 league record
• 2008 turnout: 15 players, 9 varsity, 6 JV
• Jr. Claire Bazley (setter): Athletic and fiery competitor. Should continue her growth as a leader and all-around player as season progresses.
• Jr. Aubrey DeVine (libero): Backcourt specialist as really picked up her defensive game. Passing has improved and has become more vocal on court. Will anchor Owl defense.
• Jr. Lauren Ambielli (outside hitter): One of the most consistent hitters on the team, has great attitude, work ethic and made great strides to improve.
• Jr. Alex Weaver (setter): Brings a tough serve and solid presence to the court. Improved defense, serve receive and developed a consistent set.
• Sr. Roz Zhu (middle): Lone senior on varsity squad has been “super” in practice and shown great hustle.
“I’m optimistic that we’ll give people a run for their money. This team has a lot of heart and I guarantee they’re going to leave it all out there on the court. We’re going to concentrate on the things that we can control: Having focused, hard-working practices where the kids have a lot of fun and where we can prepare them for in-game situations. Fundamentals will be key this year, to create momentum, not only for later in the season, but also for future years at Overlake.”
Did you know
The assistant volleyball coach for Overlake is Carie Fowler, an Owl alumni who played for Tufts University near Boston.
The Bear Creek Grizzlies
• Head Coach: Sherrie Brown, 2nd year
• Last Season: 9-2 Sea-Tac league, 3rd place, 11-4 overall
• 2008 turnout: 25 players
• Sr. Katie Wolfram (offensive hitter): First-team, all-league selection last year could be the first Grizzly volleyball player to go on to play at the college level.
• Sr. Madison Stump (middle): One of three experienced and talented varsity seniors that played at district tournament last season.
• Jr. Emily Kadeg (setter): Second-team, all-league selection last year will be only returning senior on varsity team next year.
Coach Brown is thrilled about a great group of freshmen turning out and being excited for volleyball. Her goal for the team this season is to earn their first trip to state after going 2-2 in the district tournament in 2007.
Did you know
Brown has 17 years of volleyball coaching experience, including 13 years at Mt. Si High School.